Here’s How to Get an Overseas Degree Without Breaking the Bank

study abroad

Students who want to get their overseas degrees ideally see themselves heading straight to their dream destination and spending all of their undergraduate years there. However, due to many circumstances, this is not always possible. Despite that, you do not have to lose hope.

There are alternative pathways to study abroad, and you will still get your desired international accreditations. In this article, we will explain the two alternative methods that are popular amongst Malaysian students: twinning and credit transfers.

What Is a Twinning Course?

Woman touching an e-learning concept on a touch screen with her finger

When you enrol in a twinning course, you come across the terms 2+2 or 2+1. These numbers indicate the number of years you will be studying in Malaysia and abroad (two years in Malaysia, two years abroad for 2+2).

During your tertiary education, you would take the same course as other students at the foreign university. As such, you will go through the same examinations where the university will grade your progress (i.e. lecturers will send exam papers to their partner university for the final assessment).

What Is a Credit Transfer?

Firstly, you need to understand how universities use the term credit.

A credit is the recognition of you having passed a course and measured in hours. So, to graduate, you would often need to fulfil a number of credit hours

credit transfer is when you transfer credits you have earned from one university to another. This process involves you physically transferring to that particular university as well. 

Instead of starting your course from scratch, you can reduce the credits you need to complete your tertiary education. Thus, these credits reduce the amount of time it will take to graduate. By the end of your studies, you will receive an award from the university you transferred to. 

A popular method of credit transfer course in Malaysia is the American Degree Programme, which you can read more about here.

Things to keep in mind:*

  • Before you begin, ensure that the university you plan on transferring your credits to is a partner of your current university. Knowing this will make your credit transfer easier.
  • You can check for a collaboration list with your university to gain more details about the credit transfer.
  • Your results and the learning outcome of each subject will affect your credit transfers to study abroad.
  • The university you plan to transfer to will cross-check their syllabus with yours. If your scores do not meet the benchmark, you will not get exemptions in your curriculum.

What Are the Benefits of Taking These Pathways?

Recommended affordable overseas degree by Uni Enrol

An example of INTI International Universities & Colleges’ partner universities

If you thought twinning or credit transfers would limit your study abroad options, you are in for a surprise. 

Before you apply for local private universities to explore their partner institutions, utilise our Institutions option to do some research. You will discover that many local institutions have partnerships with overseas institutions. Destinations popular among Malaysian students looking for a tertiary education include

  • In the United Kingdom, 
  • Australia, and
  • The United States.

Moreover, the partner universities are highly ranked and renowned internationally too. For instance, Taylor’s University’s partners include

  • The University of Manchester,
  • The University of Queensland,
  • The University of Melbourne,
  • Stanford University, and
  • New York University.

Most people would opt for these options due to economic reasons. As you will be spending a portion of your studies in Malaysia, you will get to cut costs on your university fees compared with studying 3 to 4 years abroad.

Additionally, there is a partnership whereby local universities would allow you to spend all your undergraduate years locally and still get a foreign degree. Typically, this pathway occurs if you are undertaking a ‘3+0’ or ‘4+0’ course, where you will not have to leave the country for a foreign certificate.

For example, if you take BEng (Hons) Automotive Engineering (3+0), University of Sunderland, your tuition fees will cost RM69,700. By saving on your course fees, you can take up additional skills and cover any emergency expenses during your time there. Or, even channel some for travelling!

Can I apply for university scholarships?

study after spm

Yes, you can! In most cases, you would obtain a scholarship for the tertiary education you will through at a local university (normally during your First Year). Although, countries like Australia and the UK offer scholarships or funding to cover tuition fees. These scholarships either come from the government or from the institutions themselves.

If you would like to check your eligibility for university-sponsored scholarships, register to Uni Enrol and use our Pathway Match option. Alternatively, you may also contact us to talk to our experienced counsellors.