How to Study Abroad After SPM

study abroad after spm

    Have you considered to study abroad after SPM?

    Many students say the opportunity to study abroad after SPM was one of the best life-changing experiences. 

    You will get to see the world, experience different cultures while diving into world-class education taught by industry experts!

    However, do keep in mind that the process for studying abroad can be tricky but will definitely be worth it!

    At Uni Enrol, we help students who want to study abroad and locally to choose the right course, get matched to the best university and apply for scholarships.

    Got a question about where to go and what to study?

    Here are 10 most common questions that students ask about how to study abroad after SPM.



    10 Common Questions Students Ask About Study Abroad After SPM




    Which country is best to study abroad?

    Some of the most popular destinations among international students are Australia, Canada, Germany, the UK and the US. 

    Before choosing a country to study abroad, you should consider cost of living, future career prospects and safety. 

    Next, think about the type of lifestyle you wish to experience when studying abroad. 

    Do you want to live in a big city or a smaller suburb? 

    Do you prefer outdoor or indoor entertainment? 

    Are you into culture or a food lover? 



    How to find out the cost to study abroad?

    The cost of your study abroad course is extremely dependent on the chosen country, cost of living and programme costs.

    The best way to gauge the cost of studying abroad is to get in touch with an experienced education consultant.

    They are equipped with the latest information to help you find out the cost of studying abroad before deciding to take the leap of faith.

    Contact Uni Enrol now to find out how you can learn more about the cost of going abroad and the key things you need to know.



    How much is the cost to study abroad?

    Generally, the average tuition fee for international students studying in Australia starts at AUD20,000 (RM61,736.62) whilst the cost of living starts at AUD14,000 (RM43,215.64) per year. 

    Choosing universities in smaller cities such as Perth, Adelaide and Canberra will cost you significantly less compared with big cities such as Melbourne and Sydney. 

    The average tuition fee for international students studying in the UK starts at £10,000 (RM 52,874.31) whilst the cost of living per year starts at £12,180 (RM 64,400.90). 

    Do keep in mind that living in London will cost more than if you choose to live in other cities in the UK. 

    Though significantly farther away, Canada is also a viable choice for students. 

    The average tuition fee for international students starts at C$20,000 (RM68,962.60) whilst the cost of living starts at C$15,000 (RM51,721.95).



    Where can I apply for overseas universities?

    After researching options for the best courses, universities and their locations – it’s finally time to apply! 

    But how?

    Due to the global pandemic many universities had to rely on online platforms to recruit students.

    This also includes allowing students to apply for courses online.

    At Uni Enrol, through our university enrollment platform and education consultants we have helped thousands of students study abroad and locally with the right course, get matched to the best university and apply for scholarships.

    Apply to top universities to study in Malaysia, Australia, UK, New Zealand, US and more with step by step assistance.



    How to know if I qualify to study abroad after SPM?

    You will need to fulfill certain academic requirements that vary between universities and countries so be sure to check for adequate information. 

    Generally, you will be asked to show your academic transcript and provide proof of your English language proficiency through globally-recognised English tests such as TOEFL or IELTS. 

    Besides that, you are also required to provide additional supporting documents such as passport photo, proof of funds, resume, letters of recommendation and certificate of good conduct. 



    What should I study when abroad?

    According to the Subject Strengths by Country by QS World University Rankings, here are the popular fields of study of popular study destinations:




    • Education
    • Psychology
    • Communication or Media
    • Law


    The UK

    • Politics & International Studies 
    • Geography
    • History 
    • Education



    • Geography
    • English literature & language 
    • History
    • Philosophy


    What are the visa requirements to study abroad?

    Visa requirements to study abroad vary depending on your country of choice. 

    These are the general requirements to prepare before applying for your student visa:

    • A valid passport 
    • A clean criminal record 
    • Successful pass for a health screening 
    • 2 doses of the COVID-19 vaccination
    • Proof of funds to be able to financially support yourself when abroad
    • Valid health insurance that is accessible when abroad 
    • Proof of enrollment from the university


    When is the best time to study abroad?

    There is no such thing as the best time to study abroad. 

    There are multiple intakes throughout the year, so choose the one that best fits your schedule.

    Before deciding on going abroad to study, you would need to consider several factors such as cost, programme of choice, intake and more. 

    However, we recommend that you study abroad after your pre-university programme. 

    This way, you will get the best of both worlds: experiencing college locally and university abroad!



    How long will it take to study abroad after SPM?

    The length of your study abroad programme depends on the degree you decide to take. 

    If you begin your study abroad journey right after SPM, it would generally take 4-6 years but if you choose to study abroad after your pre-university programme in Malaysia, it will take 3-4 years of full-time study. 

    A Master’s degree or equivalent will take 1-2 years while a PhD program will take 3-4 years. 

    In many universities abroad, you also have the option to join student exchange programmes that will allow you to study abroad for as short as a semester.



    Can I work in that country after I’ve graduated?

    Yes you can. 

    One of the biggest benefits of studying abroad is the post study work visa granted by countries that allows you to stay and work in the country for a period of time. 

    In Australia, you may apply for the:

    Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) – Post-Study Work Stream

    Target: For those who have recently graduated from an Australian educational institution within 6 months, no matter the field of study. 

    Duration: 2 to 4 years.

    Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) – Graduate Work Stream

    Target: For those who have recently graduated with skills and qualifications to occupations specified in the skilled occupation list.

    Duration: 18 months.

    In the UK, you may apply for the Graduate Route that welcomes international students to apply to stay in the UK and work, or look for work, upon graduation.


    2 years (Undergraduate and Master’s Degree graduate)

    3 years (PhD graduate)

    In Canada, you may apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit if you’ve completed post-secondary institutions for at least 8 months. 

    Duration: 3 years

    Thousands of students have used our free services to apply to top universities to study in Malaysia, Australia, UK, New Zealand, US and more.

    Contact Uni Enrol now for more information on your study abroad options!

    Further reading:

    The Best Universities in the UK for International Students