Table of Contents
A Brief Introduction to the University of Galway
The University of Galway is a leading research-intensive university located in Galway, Ireland. Since 1845, it has had a strong tradition for research, starting with Arts, Medicine and Law. Now, it has expanded its mighty wings and leads the following research areas:
- Biomedicine Science and Engineering
- Web Science
- Human Rights
- Marine Science, Energy & Environmental Science, and
- Applied Social Sciences & Public Policy, in particular Literature, Theatre & Irish Studies.
With 175 years of experience, the university has established partnerships with various organizations and institutions, including government agencies, research institutions, and private-sector companies. These collaborations help to further its research efforts and facilitate the translation of academic research into practical applications.
The Process of Choosing Your Research Studies
#1: Finding a Supervisor
Before you can enrol on any of the university’s research programmes, you must find a supervisor who has relevant expertise in your research interest. Students who study at Galway University do so by getting in contact with supervisors/lecturers/professors with extensive work and research in the relevant areas.
#2 Choose a Research Area
The University of Galway tackles challenges that are at the forefront of breakthroughs for humanity. Students can choose to take a deep dive into these five (5) themes when exploring any research programmes here:
- Improving health and well-being – Addressing global challenges in
- medical technologies,
- regenerative medicine,
- population health & health services,
- neuroscience, and
Research carried out also actively involves actual consented patients. Facilities include extensive laboratories and research capacity, such as the Centre for Cell Manufacturing, and the National Science Foundation Ireland Centre for Research in Medical Devices (CÚRAM).
Moreover, the university’s campus is adjacent to Galway University Hospital, where the Lambe Institute for Translational Research and the Health Research Board (HRB) Clinical Research Facility are located.
- Realising potential through data and enabling technologies – Exploring fields in
- data science,
- business information systems,
- artificial intelligence,
- advanced computing platforms and services,
- laser, and
Within this field, global industrial players have collaborated to complete the research, with the Data Science Institute and Insight and the National Science Foundation Ireland Research Centre for Data Analytics leading the efforts.
- Sustaining our planet and people – Research in
- climate action,
- clean energy,
- freshwater and terrestrial ecosystems, and
- sustainable bio-economy.
These are the works by the university’s Ryan Institute and other research groups.
- Enhancing policy and society – Carrying out research in fields such as
- health policy and economics,
- sustainable economic development,
- business innovation, and
If you have chosen this theme for your research, the university’s Institute for Lifecourse and Society and the Whitaker Institute for Innovation and Societal Change will be the main support pillars of your journey.
- Enriching creativity and culture – Research in the
- arts, geography,
- place and politics, and
- the interconnectedness of global societies.
Research under this theme is supported by the Moore Institute for Research in the Humanities and Social Studies.
Depending on the research theme, the research work is carried out under the five (5) institutions mentioned above, along with other research centres supported by government agencies or the private sector. Here is a list of research partners and projects.
To help you know yourself better, you can read this article before you begin your study in Ireland.
#3: Secure Tuition Fundings
Research Scholarships at Galway University
Like many established research-intensive institutions, the University of Galway allocates ample resources for research scholarships to attract talented researchers worldwide. These grants come in two (2) forms which are Research Jobs and PhD Scholarships.
To date, there are 15 PhD Scholarships and 27 research jobs available.
Check out other Galway University Scholarships here, and the available research jobs here.
For international students, you can also explore this list to secure your tuition funding.
All in all, is the University of Galway worth pursuing?
With 18,000 students under its wing, the University of Galway works hard to ensure their success. Students who are obtaining a PhD or Research Master have many avenues of research areas to immerse into. The process is rigorous but also rewarding, which makes this qualification so valuable.
That being said, the academy has taken initiatives to support its students, including
- Having 5 research institutions to support the research efforts
- Creating research programmes to fund students’ ideas
- EXPLORE Programme, est. 2023
- Successful applicants will receive €900 and a supportive structure
- To date, there are over 600 students and staff in the programme
- Won the Community Awareness Award, the National Student Achievement Awards 2016
- EXPLORE Programme, est. 2023
- Created a space, i.e MakerSpace to encourage innovation
- Students can attend workshops, borrow equipment, 3D Prints and create there!
Thus, if you have an idea for exploration, the University of Galway will welcome you with open arms! Just visit their homepage to begin your research endeavours.