Table of Contents
About the University of West England
The University of the West of England (UWE) is a public university in Bristol, England. The university offers many undergraduate and postgraduate programmes across multiple disciplines. It is ranked 24th out of 121 UK institutions in The Guardian University Guide, 2023.
In 2022, The Times has named Bristol as one of the best places to create a living. Thus, 27,168 students came to pursue their education with the help of 1,736 staff. Moreover, this UK university welcomes 6,636 international students from 140 countries to study abroad.
UWE Caters to Multiple Interests
At the University of West England, there are nearly 700 courses for you to choose from. The courses of UWE are divided into its 3 colleges:
- College of Arts, Technology and Environment – Supporting over 6,000 students and 450 staff members, the most popular courses are delivered here, ranging from architecture, engineering, computer science, games technology, mathematics, fashion, filmmaking, animation, journalism and media communications.
- College of Business and Law – UWE’s is well known for its law courses, reflected through its £55 million Law School that was purpose-built to provide real-world simulated spaces for practice-led learning and collaboration. Facilities include mock courtrooms, used by the Western Circuit, Civil Justice Centre and Avon and Somerset Constabulary. Business students also share the same building facilities including the Bloomberg city trading room and Team Entrepreneurship Hub.
- College of Health, Science and Society – Over 8,000 aspiring students are pursuing studies in nursing, physiotherapy, early childhood education, bioscience, environmental science, forensic science, psychology, criminology, politics and international relations, just to name a few.
Whenever you face a hurdle, this supportive institution has several study services for you, including:
- Academic Personal Tutor Programme – A place where 1st-year students can get help from academic staff members. From reviewing progress to identifying goals, the dedicated UWE mentors will be there to guide you through your studies.
- Peer Assisted Learning (PAL) – A “For Students, By Students” support conducted through group study sessions and workshops, where you can grow together with your fellow learners.
- English Language Support – UWE English Language Support helps you meet your language and communication needs through workshops, Global Cafe events and language tutorials!
UWE Backs with Strong Research Efforts
UWE maintains a strong and well-funded body of research programmes that focuses on four (4) major themes:
- Digital Futures – robotics, artificial intelligence, advanced engineering, industrial digitalisation, future mobile communications, data science and cyber security.
- Health and Wellbeing – bio-sciences, life sciences, health technologies, and mental health.
- Creative Industries and Technologies – immersive technologies, design, fabrication and print technologies.
- Sustainability and Climate Change Resilience – transformative construction and infrastructure design, food security, water management, air quality and future mobility.
If you are interested in conducting your own research at this top UK university, UWE will support you with its Researcher’s Forum, Researcher’s staff support, as well as advanced technology across many, many research centres and groups. For funding support, UWE offers scholarships and loans to fund your postgrad studies, such as the UK Government Postgraduate Doctoral Loans.
UWE Full-Heartedly Welcomes You!
Flying abroad to study in the UK is a daunting process to experience. Luckily, international students need not worry. UWE’s Global Student Support Team offers information and advice to ensure students receive all the support. The team handles end-to-end experience from arrival to adapting to the new environment, including
- airport transfers,
- student orientations,
- intercultural workshops,
- city tours, and many more.
Therefore, you are always welcome to drop by the Global Centre for assistance.
In summary, UWE has many study pathways for its potential students. This top UK university in Bristol backs strong research programmes to support the relevance and innovation of the courses that students enrol into. Like many top-ranking universities, it has a tightly knitted international student community and support.